Following the current unrest in several parts of the country, we can deduce that Nigeria is “on fire” and “suspended” in the hands of bandits who refused to heed the words of the Nigerian leaders.
The recent spike in general insecurity, which ranges from relentless killings, kidnappings and other bandit activity, can be attributed to the two-month delay recently communicated to them by President Muhammadu Buhari.
President Buhari, when deploying 6,000 troops to Zamfara state last week, said the bandits had two months to surrender.
Zamfara State Governor Bello Muhammad Matawalle relayed Buhari’s message on Tuesday last week on a statewide broadcast.
According to the governor, the deployed troops were to crush the bandits who refused to surrender their weapons after the expiration of the two-month deadline.
“During my discussion with President Muhammadu Buhari and senior security commands in Abuja, it was decided that 6,000 additional troops will be deployed to complement the efforts of other security forces to address the security challenges in the region. ‘State.
“The troops will be arriving in the state soon for their operations and we are grateful to the federal government.
“The president has agreed on a deadline within which recalcitrant bandits should surrender their weapons and participate in our peace initiative.”
However, instead of instilling fear into the bandits, the ultimatum instead sparked more attacks, as many of their questionable activities were recorded in a week.
Recall that on Thursday, armed men suspected of being bandits attacked the Federal College of Forest Mechanization in Mando, Kaduna State, and took 39 students.
The gunmen reportedly stormed the school Thursday morning, firing indiscriminately before leading the students away.
Kaduna State Homeland Security Commissioner Samuel Aruwa, who confirmed the incident, said 39 of the students (23 women and 16 men) were missing while the military was able to rescue 180 people after a battle with the armed men.
It should also be recalled that unknown armed men on Saturday evening attacked members of the police attached to the Safer Road Patrol of the Bauchi State Police Command patrolling the Bauchi-Jos road in Nabordo in the local government area of Toro.
In another development, unknown gunmen also suspected of being bandits stormed on Sunday the Ikara government science secondary school in the Ikara local government area of Kaduna state, in an attempt to kidnap the students, but their plot was foiled by the military and other security agencies who responded. quickly to attack.
On the same day, two 300-level students from the Faculty of Agriculture, Ayetoro Campus of Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ogun State, were abducted by unidentified gunmen.
Another shocking news hit Nigerians on Monday morning when gunmen believed to be bandits incapable of carrying out their plans on Sunday stormed the UBE primary school in Rama, a village in the Birnin Gwari region. , in Kaduna State. some students and teachers.
Reacting, the Nigeria Human Rights Writers Association, HURIWA in a statement on Sunday accused President Buhari of issuing the ultimatum, adding that the recent surge in kidnappings and other security crises in the North West and other parts of the country is attributable to the two-month delay.
“On the one hand, the president threatened to deal with the terrorists, but on the other hand, he gave them two months to decide to stop the kidnappings.
“Nigerians should know by now that this government does not have the capacity to protect it and the best bet is for the masses to stage protests to call on the United States of America and the United Nations to come to Nigeria and save the citizens before we all are. kidnapped, ”the group added.
Likewise, a former vice-president, Atiku Abubakar, on Monday urged the Nigerian government to declare a state of emergency in the education sector.
Atiku said this while reacting to the kidnapping of teachers and students from UBE Primary School in Rama, Kaduna state, via his official Twitter account.
His tweet read: “With Kaduna’s latest school kidnapping, I reiterate my call on the FG to declare a state of emergency in the education sector and to lay down armed guards around the clock. 24 in every school in affected and neighboring states. No expense should be spared to ensure the safety of our schools. “
Kaduna state public affairs analyst Sir Cornelius Ngbede in an interview with newsmen on Monday said that the security situation in the state “is going from bad to worse”.
“The level of insecurity in Kaduna State is starting to worsen. People in the state are no longer sleeping well as insecurity has become a very worrying problem.
“Kaduna State has its fair share of this chaos and arson because no day or week goes by without some form of attack or another. There is no doubt that the state is under siege by these criminal elements ”.
Ngbede revealed that the perpetrators are not always residents of the state, pointing out that they mainly come to the state from neighboring states to launch attacks against innocent residents of Kaduna and return to their states.
“We have to lay bare the fact that most of these bandits are not from Kaduna State. They come from neighboring states, inflict pain and leave ”.
He advised the state government to involve religious and traditional leaders in the fight against the insurgency.
“The state must collaborate with established religious and traditional institutions to strengthen the resilience of communities against terrorism,” he added.
Meanwhile, efforts to reach Force spokesperson Frank Mbah were unsuccessful as he was unable to take his calls and could not respond to text messages passed to him to elicit response from officials. police on the current situation.