Nigerians on social media have moved to shut down the activities of Lekki Toll Gate on February 13, to express their vexation over the Lagos State Judicial Panel’s decision to allow the Lekki Concession Company to reopen the Lekki tollgate.
Activists like Omoyele Sowore have supported and propagated the idea that the tollgate should not be reopened because of the alleged killings of Nigerian civilians by the Nigerian Army on October 20 of last year.
Sowore said, “No to the reopening #Lekkitollgate, the perpetrators of the #LekkiMassacre must be brought to book.” And he posted a picture of Occupy Legos Lekki Tollgate flier.
The panel of enquiry set up to look at the Lekki shooting incident on Saturday approved the reopening of the tollgate, amidst protests, following a prayer by LCC counsel that its order will allow the company to repair all damages done.
The tollgate has not been operational since the incident. While five members of the nine-man panel led by Doris Okuwobi voted in support of the reopening of the tollgate, four persons rejected Premium Times reports.
Despite the disagreement by members of the panel, control of the tollgate was returned to LCC. The dissenters, among other complaints, said the report of the forensic examination on the incident that took play is yet to be disclosed.